Re: [Chrysler300] Garage Plans

We just finished up a 1200 square foot garage addition to our existing
garage, which was 36' x 28'.  The new garage is an odd shape, because  it
connects the old free-standing garage to the house.  Also, we wanted it  to be
architecturally pleasing, so we had to make some tradeoffs re size,  height,
etc., and the odd shape (5-sides) required a custom design.

In general, I agree with most of the comments so far.  I  definitely agree
that bigger and taller is better, depending upon your  budget.  We settled
on a 12' 9" height, which accommodates the lift nicely,  and allowed a 12"
entry door.  I would try to make that your minimum  height.  Unfortunately, we
have a shallow pitch to match the existing  garage and house, and we used
engineered trusses (lots of 2 x 4 cross  pieces)  versus regular rafters to
save money, so we do not have storage  space above.  We couldn't go any
higher and still have it look the way we  wanted, but if you could, it would be
nice.

Speaking of saving money, we saved about 40% by being the general
contractor and subcontracting the various trades.  My BF did that part, and  he got
some incredible deals doing it piecemeal.

Someone mentioned a 6" floor; we considered that, but to save money we
instead poured 2 footers, 3 square feet each, 12" deep under where the  lift
posts would sit (which of course, we planned out in advance).  Don't  forget
to allow for a 220 volt outlet in the ceiling.  Someone else  mentioned
American Automotive lifts--we went with them also, and so far are  pretty pleased
(except there were a few wrinkles in installation).  For the  price, I
think it's a very good value.

We located the compressor in the old garage, and piped drops all through
all the garage areas, which is a nice arrangement.  There are volumes of
opinions on the best type of piping material, best layout, how to best drain
the  water, etc.; you might want to research that and see what would work best
in  your application.

I don't know if you are familiar with Hi-Bay lights (basically 6-light
fixtures with skinny bulbs, and a real nice color temperature).  We put 6  of
them in and are glad we did.  Basically, they are to supplement the  other
planned lighting (12 2-bulb fixtures, which was about twice as many  standard
fluorescents as was recommended), but everyone who comes in comments on  how
nice and bright it is.  I thought it  was overkill, but we're  really glad
we did it.  There are no shadows, and we can control 3 six  light circuits
independently, so we can have it whatever brightness we  choose.

I also don't know if ceiling fans are appropriate where you are, but we put
 them in and that was a nice inexpensive way to keep air circulating
without  taking up floor space.  We have a 24K BTU A/C system (you probably don't
need), and use a propane patio heater on the few occasions when we need to
take  the chill off.  We also designed in doors opposing each other, for a
flow  through "venturi" effect.  Now, I'm not going to say it's as clever as
ram  induction, but..........;-)

Another thing I haven't heard mentioned is tinting the floor.  We had  our
concrete tinted a darkish gray, and we like it (although it came out a
little tie-dyed looking; don't know why).  I think it is attractive, makes  it
easier to find shiny things you drop, and avoids the need for ever painting
it.  We also sealed it with a two-part sealer with a little anti-skid
material thrown in, and the floor seems to be something else people think is
cool.

We also did sort of a custom paint job that you don't see in every  garage.
 Basically it is dark purple at the bottom 4.5 feet, has a double  "racing
stripe" above that, and is white above the stripe and on the  ceiling.
Again, it adds a little wow factor, and cost hardly anything,  because I did the
taping.

The only think I can think of I would do differently is to put more outlets
 up high, around the 10' level.  We've put up several neon signs to spiff
up  the place, and I wish I had convenient outlets.

There is an interesting web site that specifically deals with garages
called garagejournal.com/.  You can get lots of  ideas there, and lots of
opinions on virtually every aspect.

Good luck with the project.

Shannon
300 G
300 F (soon)

In a message dated 1/18/2012 9:43:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,