[Chrysler300] Tanning your hides

Thanks to all who responded on leather care.  I accumulated the responses
for my use and thought I'd share the summary.  Best wishes for keeping your
brute's hide soft, shiny and supple.

Rich Barber

1955 C-300-Beige leather standard

1964 300K-Has optional black leather seats ($93.30 retail) in tough shape.
New black hides coming from Kalispell (somewhat more).

I'll heartily endorse Leatherique as well. I used it on some 40-year
old, cardboard-stiff leather Cadillac seats and it made them like glove
leather. Likewise on a 25-year old leather jacket. The "Prestine
Clean" cleaner that came in the kit pulled out an unbelievable amount of
dirt from both as well. Somewhat expensive, but well worth it.

I have had very good experience with Leatherique products
(www.leatherique.com <http://www.leatherique.com/> ). Their products are
not inexpensive but work as advertised. I have used the "rejuvenator oil"
(it's actually not an oil) for over 30 years with excellent results, and the
"prestine clean" works really well especially on original leather to get all
the embedded dirt out of the pores after treatment with the oil (the "oil"
will raise dirt from the pores and soften the leather). On aftermarket dyed
leather (such as Goers reproduction interiors), use it sparingly as some dye
might be extracted, as I discovered on my J - always test it first. On
original leather, I've found nothing that cleans better. Lexol is rubbish
in my opinion; you can use degreasers like simple green (don't let it dry on
the interior), but leatherique has worked the best, and yes I have used it
on white (alabaster), black and tan leather. For routine light cleaning I
use Griot's Garage interior cleaner and leather care.

The leatherique leather/vinyl dye is also excellent when used exactly
according to directions for refinishing projects.

  I have used both Lexol and Leatherique on my original '64 300-K's BLACK
leather seats.  Used lexol for years, then a couple years ago switched to
Leatherique.  I have heard that Lexol will cause problems with lighter
colors, but have no experience as mine are black.

  Lexol brought the original leather back from a very hardened condition.
However, once I switched to Leatherique, I dare say I think it does better
and lasts longer.

  Going on memory here, I seem to recall BOTH products advise checking for
color fastness in an inconspicuous location.

  Of the two products, Leatherique is more expensive and harder to obtain.
Seems to me I had to order it direct, where Lexol is carried in farm and
home stores where they expect people to have saddles and other leather goods
to clean and protect.

don't use lexol, it will darken the leather fast.   Over used it for years
on
my c300. cleaned leather and use mothers or mequiers, after 57 years it
still looks and feels new. also this month's hot rod has pics of our cars
at a race track.

The best one I've ever found is from Eagle Ottawa Leather, but I don't know
if you can find it everywhere.  They make cleaner and a preservative and
I've used them for years on tan leather.  Eagle Ottawa at one time made
skillions of leather seat covers for the auto industry.  One part I like
about this brand is that it smells like new leather.  If you try to find it
and are unsuccessful,  I could check around here and send it to you (if it's
still available here).

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: