RE: [Chrysler300] Thursday night car show

RE: [Chrysler300] Thursday night car show

David:

Great ?.

My thoughts are that Chrysler liked the idea of having a halo car to draw
buyers into the showrooms because it worked.  This worked especially well in
1955-56 when the 300's were winning NASCAR races.  Eventually, the positive
effect of having a luxury performance car diminished and Chrysler figured
out that they could sell a heck of a lot more high-performance Plymouths and
Dodges than Chryslers.  High insurance surcharges also did a job on mega
motors.

The performance concept always needed individuals and teams to push the idea
past the bean counters that would resist production of cars that did not
make good margin or lost money.  Bob Rodger and the Ramchargers come to
mind.  It's all about making money and making cars.  Creating and
maintaining the brand is difficult and richly rewarding.  The 300 brand is
STILL selling cars and the concept of high-performance luxury cars is back,
if only for high-rollers.  It took the foreign car manufacturers to get
high-performance luxury cars back in the Chrysler and Cadillac showrooms.
It's been a long time since I've seen a hot-rod Lincoln.  And, guess
what-people come in to showrooms to look at the 392 Hemi engine in a
Chrysler 300 SRT-8, go into sticker shock and drive off in a less expensive
300-the equivalent of the '50's & '60'sWindsors, Newports, Saratogas and New
Yorkers.  The concept and the brand still works 57 years later.

Viva, tres cientos.  Viva, Chrysler.

Rich Barber (just celebrated the 57th birthday of our '55 C-300-born March
12, left the nursery March 17th.-should been green?)

  _____