RE: [Chrysler300] Dexron vs. type F

Hi Ron,

That is exactly the issue that I'm trying to drive out.  We have many
anecdotal examples of folks using Dexron for 100k, 200k and even 300k miles
in their transmissions with no issues, including some letter cars.  Yet we
have evidence (particularly if someone has a copy of the actual tech
bulletin) that Chrysler at some point specified type F, at least for letter
cars.  We know that type F provides firmer shifts.  We also know from 40+
years of club experience that letter car transmissions in fact did fail
prematurely when not rebuilt to 300 letter car specs and when certain fluids
were used, at least in severe duty use.  For drivers that just go to the
local cruise in and only put a couple hundred miles (or less) on their
letter car a year, perhaps the whole issue is mute.

The non-letter car transmissions, such as the 300 Sport, were not built to
the 300 letter car specs and perhaps it is less critical to use type F
unless firmer shifts are desired??

Don Verity is one of our current transmission experts, perhaps he has some
advice?

300ly, Carl Bilter

  _____