Re: [Chrysler300] Dr. Colorchip

Here are a couple of links to show you what this product package is and
how it works:

http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-reviews/product-review-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7xrDyKTHcM

I'd put some pretty hefty cash on this being a marketing gimmick anybody
could have come up with. I have not bought one of these kits, so I'm
venturing an educated guess here.

Virtually all auto paints put on cars today are what is referred to as a
"Base/Clear" finish. It's a paint process where the essential color of
the car is sprayed on first, and then this color coat is covered with a
substantial clear topcoat which is an epoxy. And this epoxy coat is what
makes their trick work. (Your collector car may very well NOT have a
Base/Clear finish).

They probably supply the Dr. Colorchip kit with a lacquer based touch up
paint - the same as any other touch up bottle anywhere in the world.
You're supposed to sweep enough of this touch up paint over the chipped
area to more or less fill it. Then after letting it dry for a bit you're
supposed to put a tiny amount of what they call "SealAct" on a cloth and
wipe over the area. Presto. Done. (They claim).

What likely makes this trick work is that your original epoxy clearcoat,
once cured, is virtually unaffected by lacquer thinner. So wiping over
the lacquer-based touch up blob and surrounding mess with lacquer
thinner or a similar solvent will clean things up without messing with
your original finish. They wisely instruct you to use only a small
amount of the "SealAct" so you don't dissolve and clean out the whole
blob you painted in.

Selling you a full kit for $50 that includes less than $10 worth of
touch up paint, 10 cents worth of lacquer thinner, a couple of rags and
a pair of latex gloves nets them better than $40 clear on every sale.
How's that for a business plan.

You can do this on your own and get an equal result with any bottle of
touch up and a bit of lacquer thinner IF you have a Base/Clear finish on
your car. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL trying this if you have an enamel or
lacquer finish on your car, as you may dissolve your original finish
when you wipe the thinner over it. Stick the $40 you just saved into
your gas tank and cruise a few miles.

Keith Boonstra

-

On 10/18/2012 7:28 AM, Ron Waters wrote:

> For those of us that are unfamiliar, can someone explain what this
> 'miracle'
> product is ?
>
> Ron

<*> Your email settings: