From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Keith Boonstra
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:07 PM
To: Bob Jasinski
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler power steering box

AHA!  I found the service manual on our Club website and "there _is no
hydraulic connection_ between the worm and gear housings". The worm housing
_does_ have its own separate oil reserve, and that oil level is supposed to
be maintained to the level of the filler plug on the housing with 5W20 oil
or Type A fluid when the box is in the installed position.  I would assume
that this section is not pressurized - unlike the gear housing.

That must mean that they used a non-red oil in the worm housing when
rebuilding it, and that is what I have running down the gear housing and
dripping off the drag link - unpressurized basic engine oil.

I think I may just try something.  I have had terrific results using Lucas
brand PS leak stopper, so maybe I will top the level off in the worm housing
with that and hope the dripping stops.  Then if it still leaks we can move
forward with the next drastic step of removing the whole box for repair.
But at least I now know that there is a filler plug I was unaware of where I
can see to it that the worm section stays properly lubricated.

Anybody have an argument with that logic?

Keith Boonstra

-
On 3/2/2013 7:18 PM, Bob Jasinski wrote:

> Keith,
>
> Just out of curiosity, how could a power steering box leak gear oil,
> not power steering fluid?Where is gear oil used in a 300C other than
> the differential or a manual trans or manual steering box (if so
> equipped)? You have power steering in your C, right?
>
> Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: