From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of John Nowosacki
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 4:05 PM
To: Keith Boonstra
Cc: Marshall Larson; Chrysler 300 Club Intl
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] a/c compressor/bearing

the clutch/bearing pulley unit is 48833 for 69 to 71 Chryslers with a/c.
it is not like what was on my 61 and 62 cars. The bearing doesn't seem
replaceable. It was pressed in from the back side, and then peened over in
3 places at the edges of both the outer and inner races.
There is no provision for pushing it back out from the front like on the
older versions.
I tend to fear/agree with those who think that if that inner bearing
seized, it should have started turning the compressor even though the
clutch was not engaged. My fear is that the bearing let go at relatively
high rpm (I was doing about 70 mph or so), and perhaps engaged
instantaneously as opposed to how the clutch would normally engage with a
little slippage to allow things to come up to speed more slowly. Perhaps
this, in turn, locked up my compressor and caused the belts to burn. I'll
sort it out eventually, but first I want to put a new assembly on the front
so I can put the belts back on for the alternator so I can drive it. It's
still only in the 40's and 50's around here, so no immediate need for a/c.
I might wind up getting a new compressor, and then that makes me think of
possibly going to a Sanden unit instead of the clunky RV-2. Someone must
make a mounting kit for the aftermarket.
Thoughts?

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Keith Boonstra <kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:kboonstra%40zeegroup.com> >wrote:

> [...]
> case a seized bearing will stop the pulley independent of the pump. Oops.
> Different horse, different color.
>
> Keith Boonstra
>
> On 4/1/2013 3:26 PM, Keith Boonstra wrote:
>
>> Marshall,
>>
>> If the bearing seizes won't things act the same as if the clutch were
>> energized? And then would not the compressor crank be rotated by the
>> pulley the same as if the A/C were turned on? If that is correct, the
>> compressor and pulley would turn as one, and the belts would not burn
off.

>> If the pulley and compressor cannot be turned by hand without the belts
>> in place, I believe the compressor must be shot too. It would seem to me
>> that the compressor itself may have previously seized, but that it
>> remained undiscovered until the bearing also froze up. And that locked
>> the entire assembly up so as to burn the belts off.
>>
>> N'est-ce pas?
>>
>> Keith Boonstra
>>
>> -
>> On 4/1/2013 2:57 PM, Marshall Larson wrote:
>>
>>> As you may have determined there is a large bearing inside the pulley
>>> that
>>> is in use 100% of the time the engine is running and belts are in place.
>>> it is not an idler as it performs no belt tightening function. The
>>> bearing
>>> is mounted onto the snout of the conpressor housing. The clutch disk is
>>> mounted to the crankshaft of the compressor and is forced to turn only
>>> when a current is passed throught the clutch coil. No current, no clutdh
>>> engagement, no compressor function.
>>>
>>> The pulley is driven by the belts and will turn with very little
>>> Resistance
>>> when the engine is running. If it does not turn with the belts or you
>>> can't turn it by hand when the belts are removed, it's bearing has
seized
>>> and must be replaced.
>>>
>>> The pulley and it's integral bearing are a friction fit to the
>>> compressor's
>>> snout and are held in place by a C clip at the center of the inner
>>> bearing
>>> race. Remove the pulley assembly, press out the bad bearing, press in a
>>> new bearing and reassemble to the compressor. Reassemble the clutch disk
>>> and it's key to the compressor shaft. Use the nut or the bolt to move
the
>>> clutch toward the face of the pulley carefully as there must be an air
>>> gap
>>> between the clutch disk and the face of the pulley when properly
>>> reassembled. The two surfaces will never touch until a current is
>>> introduced to the coil. Find the specification for the air gap and be
>>> careful to not deflect the disk while setting it. The specification will
>>> likely be in the .004 to .010 range.
>>>
>>> _,_.___

>>> <mailto:jsnowosacki%40gmail.**com <jsnowosacki%2540gmail.com>

>>> <mailto:Chrysler300%**40yahoogroups.com<Chrysler300%2540yahoogroups.com>

<mailto:bob%40simplexco.com>  or
>> go to
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/**group/Chrysler300/joinhttp://autos.groups.ya
hoo.com/group/Chrysler300/join>and select the "Leave Group" button

>> For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.**
>> com/yahoolist/inst.htm<http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm>
>>
>> For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/**300-archive/search.htm#**

querylangYahoo<http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylangYa