Re: [Chrysler300] Judging

A wise fellow club member once said to me that the absolutely correct high point concours cars which weren't driven were important to the hobby
because they established a standard of how good the car could be.

The last few years, I have become enamoured by the Preservation Class, which is more like what I see at car shows in England. Pebble Beach, down the road from me, introduced that class several years ago, Cars are not always totally repainted but instead left pretty much as they are except for being well maintained mechanically. PB cars are always complete with dirt. I have seen tidily repaired cigarette burns on leather seats for instance, and commonly where the paint has been worn through by polishing. I read a couple of years ago that if you were to get your generator rebuilt , it is important to tell the shop NOT to repaint the generator and to use the existing hardware of its ok.

I was recently at a show, helping the local restoration shop who was the sponsor. A man asked me how much I thought the shop would charge to restore his TR4. In conversataion, I learned he bought it new in 1962, and it's all original. He drove it every day to work . The transmission is bad (easy fix) and the only body flaw is on the drivers side door where he rested his arm while driving and wore the pain off. I was able to convince him to clean it up, repair the tranny, and drive it because there was no one else at hat show who could say they were driving a totally original car and were the original owner.
 Mike Moore