[Chrysler300] RE: An (un) lost car ????

  Again, maybe I am wrong....  but here are my clues:

This was posted by Gil on the 300 website:

 """ Why was it made in October of 1957, several months before “regular” F.I. production began in February of 1958, but well after the three press review F.I. D’s in mid-September? Its “dealer” code and region are the same as those of LC4 1250, the Tahitian Coral Motor Trend test car. Was mine also the subject of a road test? I have never seen or heard of one. It was picked up by the customer at Jefferson on October 24, 1957 according to Chrysler records."""

Norm picked-up a brand new '58 300D-FI at Jefferson the very same time.  He test drove the car from Detroit to Van Nuys on a publicity cross-country test drive, stopping at a couple prearranged stops, and was featured in an article roughly a week after.    There is only 1 FI car built anywhere near this time.

 The article filed upon Norm's arrival is here:  http://www.hyfire.com/1958FI.jpg

Second, the car's build sheet shows a "dealer code" to a internal marketing/PR department.  All Norm's cars (including Norm's 300D racecar) are charged to the marketing/PR department. Ed Quinn ran all Norms cars through this department.

  Unlike Norm's cars, this car wasn't "owned" by Norm.  It was made in-between the time Norm ran a pit crew at Daytona beach for Chrysler (Feb '57) and Chrysler built Norm the Bonneville Racecar (Feb '58). The car was only kept by Norm for a while and then returned to Chrysler in Detroit.  When I spoke to Sherwood K about Norm, he remembered Norm running an experimental 300-FI car in Van Nuys, 1957 at the local drag strip.   Norm had huge problems with the car running poorly when he left Detroit, but by the time he had it in CA, it was running very well... according to the shop manager of Norm's shop.

  What do you guys think?  Am I crazy???

Posted by: josh@xxxxxxxxxx