Re: [Chrysler300] 1960 "F" Generator

Hello Mike,

The few times I've seen your F at the Hickory Corners 'Mopars at the Red Barns' shows, I saw that yours is an A/C car, so you it should be running a 40-Amp Autolite GJM-8202A generator. My non-A/C F has a 35-Amp Autolite GJM 8201A generator, that won't run the A/C, if I ever complete the conversion.

I'm going to forward your 'generator' email to one of my local suburban Chicago friends, for his professional opinion. He's been rebuilding generators, starters, and more since the mid-1950s. If he thinks he can rebuild your generator, I'm thinking that's the way to go, unless you want to try the gener-nator alternative that Tony Rinaldi mentioned.

I started having generator meltdowns starting on my drive from Chicago to our Alamogordo Club Meet, in September 2014. Driving south on I-57, my generator died, with my gauge reading dead left. I called Spanky Cox, and rolled into his place. Spanky looked thru his supply of rebuilt generators, but none fit my F. We took my generator to a shop he uses in Effingham, and they rebuilt it in about 2 hours. We bought a new regulator, installed the generator and regulator, and I was on my way, along with John Begian who met up with us there in his G, running down from Michigan. That generator rebuild lasted for about a year, and then the F was again discharging.

I then took the generator, with my 2 regulators, over to my local friend who bench tested the generator and regulators. He confirmed the F's generator needed rebuilding, and also that both regulators were not properly calibrated. He also tested the 3 regulators from my '64 1/2 Mustang convertible (still a generator car!), and confirmed that all 3 of those regulators were significantly miscalibrated. He  properly calibrated all 5 regulators. He rebuilt my generator, including having its armature rewound by someone he knows here locally. We reinstalled the generator and it seemed fine for my short drive up to our Fall '16 Elkhart Lake Meet. At the Meet I was getting a squeaking noise for the generator, and it wasn't fully charging. So, after the Meet, back for another rebuild. He diagnosed that there was a short somewhere in the armature, so another rewind and rebuild. Now, 10,000+ road-tested miles later, the generator has been operating fine.

To your comment re Fs produced with alternators, I'm pretty sure only the '60 Pont-a-Moussin 4-speed cars had alternators, along with the '60 Valiants, as Dan Reitz stated. Randy Guyer's black F convertible was built on June 7, 1960, and was the final F convertible to roll off Chrysler's assembly line. Randy's F has a generator.

Noel