RE: My past Mopars

In the mid-60's I was racing in UHRA's and IHRA's (I think), P Stock
class with a 65 Bel Air, 327, etc.  The record at the time was always
within easy reach but the car only won about 5 times.  Just before the
military moved my family to Virginia, a gent from Suffolk, Virginia,
running a 65 Chevelle with a 283 (same class - different weight),
dropped the record 4 tenths!  That made my car obsolete overnight.
About two weeks later, while 1/8 mile bracket racing (new venture), I
spotted a 62 Savoy with a 413.  Short discussion with the owner and we
traded cars.  I guess he like rowing a 4-speed and I thought the
automatic big block would be much more competitive.  Trouble is, I
didn't know a thing about the big block that liked to drink oil, was on
a Navy salary, and couldn't afford to fix the car up.  It was darn fast
and pretty consistant.  Later, when finances deteriorated, I was
approached by a guy who ran a very consistant /6 power Signet.  We
discussed a swap with some cash involved, and I ended with the Signet.
Needless to say, that car made more money than any I've owned since.  I
got out of racing altogether when the Navy transferred me to California.
After nearly a 20 year rest, I decided to get back into cars.  I bought
a 440 68 Barracuda and drove it around for awhile, then traded for a 63
Fury Convertible (poly 318).  Dumped a whole lot of money in that car,
and got seriously interested in 65 Belvederes.  Actually bought three to
make one.  After it was finished, I came to the conclusion that what I
really wanted all along was a drag race car, not a trailer queen.
So...I stepped up to the plate and bought a 66 Valiant (less motor and
transmission), built a strong 360 for 1/8 mile racing, and hopefully in
the next couple of days I will fire it off after a couple of setbacks.
Why did I switch from Chevrolets to Mopars?  I got darn tired of seeing
tail lights at the dragstrip!

John