Max-Wedge motor is running! Fairly long!

Max-Wedge motor is running! Fairly long!

INSTANT CAR INSURANCE QUOTE! Save time, save money, and
get the best deal. Get quote, buy, and print insurance
cards online!
caab599b7yoMza/ Insurance4usa.com

Gang,
This is for anyone that may be interested.
After a major setback, the motor is up and running again. I say major because
two weeks ago I fired her up and was in the process of breaking in the cam,
(one valve spring). Had her idling about 2 grand. Both carbs were spilling
extra fuel into the manifold. Played with the float adjusters while spraying fuel
all over the firewall, engine, etc. She was a running rich to say the least.
Fumes filled the shop, could hardly breath. She was running for about 20
minutes when all of a sudden, the engine picked up Rpm's like you opened the carbs
wide open. She winged up to about 5 grand when we pulled the coil wire to shut
her off. Couldn't understand what happened. Might have been the spring in the
secondaries to weak and let the back two barrels open up some. (I'm running
ProForm body's with stock Holley float bowls.) Anyway, we shut her down after it
flipped the belt off and puked some antifreeze out on the floor. And I had an
oil leak coming out of the back of the intake, (cross-ram, which was my fault
on installing it).
Next day, I pulled the intake off to fix the oil leak and while having the
valve covers off, I noticed the number one cylinder valves seemed to be shorter
than the rest.
To make a long story short, (I know, it's too late), what happened was the
number one cylinder lifters seized up in the lifter bores, held both valves
open, piston hit them, bending both. Had to pull both heads to have them both
checked. Finally cost me around $300.00 to get things straightened out. Had to buy
a burnishing tool from the cam manufacturer to run through the lifter bores
to make them round again.
Put everything back together this past Saturday, fired her up again and it
sounds great this time. Slight carb problem to handle yet and a little fine
tuning on the shift cable but I think I got the problem solved.
Next is to get the fenders, hood, scoop painted and get the front end back
together.
I'll be posting pictures with Gary H. when it's all done to put on out web
site.

Thanks for listening,
Bill C.
Toledo
64 Sport Fury
493 wedge style!

Your opinion counts! We?re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
caab6PVb7yoMzf/ Val Rad
----

b7yoMz.