Re:heater core leaks...bypassing heater

Need to find the right school to fit your needs CollegeInformation.info has already found it. Get educated on your future ? degrees, financial aid and more!
caab8Lbb7yoMza/ College Info

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:35:00 +0000 From: "DR CHALLENGER" <drchallenger@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Heater core leaks

"how can bypassing the heater cause overheating? it can't"

A 5/8" stream of coolant allowed to come from the pressure side of the water and then is immediately returned to the suction side would seem to be coolant
unavailable for cooling.

The heater valve on my charger stops flow when off and allows flow through the
core when on. My van is constant flow core with a door to keep hot air in or out.

In either case if one would remove the core and simply run a hose from the old
in to heater and out to heater (from the engine nipples) you will lose the cooling
that the heater core would normally give you.

A friend here in Phoenix first passed this observation to me when he almost cooked
his 360 motorhome coming accross from the sand at Yuma.

He had a leak in one heater hose, he looped the non-leaking one back to the block.

He went about 20 miles, had 250+ water temp...cooled it down....checked coolant level,
kinked the hose and clamped it to stop the flow...ran 210 the rest of the trip.

This summer come on down when its 115 and we can run one of my big blocks both ways to
test the theory...try it with  pipe plugs in first, then with a bypass hose.

I suspect if you have a super capacity raditor or weather that never sees 90 degrees you might never have a problem.

rob lipinski

From: "Brian Safford" <bsafford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Heater core leaks

I've installed a short hose between the manifold and water pump - is that
okay?

Regards,
Brian Safford
'62 Dodge Dart 440

In phoenix az summers simply bypassing the heater might cause overheating as a large volume of
water nevers goes through the radiator.

Non-heater cars have pipe plugs instead of the hose nipples.

Other climates may have no problems.

Two cents from Phoenix Az.

rob lipinski
65 sat 361-4spd

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale! Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy! caab7pQb7yoMzf/ GoDaddy

----

b7yoMz.