Shoulder Belts

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
caab8Ldb7yoMza/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Better seat belts than in the 1960?s? seems like a good idea.

I have a 1965 2-door hardtop and have researched an over the shoulder seat belt in the past.   No one seems to really offer any recommendations or has had experience on better seat belts for front and rear passengers.  I think this is a very good safety consideration and add a lot of passenger safety would be added without spending a lot of money.    After all, lap belts may hold you in place but inertia is going to really take its toll, especially to front seat passenger and driver when you hit the steering wheel shaft or the dash/windshield.

It seems that inside the side panels on the left and right side above the rear seat, and just behind the door area, would be a good place to attach an anchor point.  This should be just about as high or higher than the existing top of the door where it meets the jam at the side window.

A plate could be welded to the interior body just inside the side pillar and an eye or an attachment point be placed a few inches near the top where the door and rear window meet.   Distributing the attachment points on this plate to more than one point behind the panel would enhance the strength tremendously and it could be made from something like 3/16? carbon steel plate.  After the plate was welded or bolted to the inside structure the exterior inside panels could be replaced and only the anchor points would show.  From there a shoulder belt could be added.  JC Whitney has them?

So far this has only been a thought on a 2-door non-post car and I have not seen anyone do it yet.  Good luck if you find someone who has done this or knows a good way to do it right.  By the way, I plan to do it someday.  Time will tell...  At least that?s my plan.

Sent via surfside.net

Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! Discover Crazy
Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up handfuls. It's the
creativity unleashing, mood enhancing desk toy!
caab7pJb7yoMzf/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

----

b7yoMz.