trans repair

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
caaccMPb7yoMza/ UOP

During a road test with three other HD fellows last year I inadvertantly shifted into Hi at too low a speed full throttle. Why i don't know but I pushed the button about 3500rpm. Right away i knew i had hurt the trans as it was more than it could stand at that low a speed and that high a gear.
A couple of days later I was driving to Trenton I heard a little squeal when up shifting to high. I also heard it in reverse. I parked the car for the winter but last week I hired my local (or loco) friend Brian to pull the trans. As I took it apart i was surprised to see how good it looked. Despite the servere abuse this car regularily gets I could still read Raybestos on all the clutch plates.Eventually i found the probelm. The centre thrust washer between the end of the input shaft and the planetary gearset shaft had disintegrated. It was a fiber one and bits of pulverised fiber were still in the area. When the washer let go it allowed the direct clutch to slide back the thickness of the washer and the last plate in the direct clutch was just barely engaging the splined hub in the direct clutch. You could see on the teeth of that clutch plate and on the splined hub that they had occasionally been rubbing .
Since we machine the reaction plate and the direct clutch piston to get enough room for the extra clutch fibre and another steel there is no room for error so it became a problem.
I obtained a bronze thrust washer instead and put it back together with a 5 to1 lever (band adjustment it different with this lever in case you hadn't noticed. only 1.5 turns out instead of 2 turns out)
I had a Fairbanks shift improver kit here so i modified the trans and valve body per. (Note the Fairbanks kit had a two hole filter in it for the early trans)
Finished it this afternoon and took it for a good long drive . Works great . Shifts a bit better into high although considering the kit cost me a boring job )440  .030" oversize) I am not sure the difference was worth that much but we will see. Anyway it is noticably different in a good way so maybe i was expecting too much. Everything went well and I pounded it a couple of times just to be sure. Went about 35 miles.
Back home now getting ready for my next deal. Swapping out the much modified 750 (3310 Holley) for a much Modified 850. I expect the engine will really like this .
Time will tell. Anyway summer is here and we are out "boiling the hides" again. Nothing like a little tire smoke to make you feel good.
Don

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
caaccMSb7yoMzf/ ExpertCity

----

b7yoMz.