RE: Low compression engines

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
caaccMSb7yoMza/ ExpertCity

I don't know about car vs. motorcycle engines, but I'm sure the
principle is the same. I just recently put an 1170 top end on my 79
KZ1000 with some BIG dome pistons. From the moment I had it running, it
would spark knock under a load. I added octane booster to Sunoco 94 and
that helped a little, messed with the timing to no avail. After less
than 2 hours running time it developed a death rattle, so I tore it back
down....3 of the four pistons were WASTED! Ringland was broke off in
places, small parts of the rings were driven into the head, but there
was NO valve or cylinder damage which tells me there were no parts
hitting each other. I think it was detonation that destroyed the
pistons. Sorry for the off-topic ramble, just thought it might help this
discussion thread.
Jeff
Robert neal zimmerman wrote:

>   Geez and I always thought cars were for boneheads, drinking was a much
>   easier hobby!
>
>     I got more questions if somebody would be kind enough to answer.
>        A) Is detonation the same as pinging??
>        B)  How do u know if you are getting detonation? OR LET ME PUT IT
>        ANOTHER WAY:
>              Can detonation occur that u cant hear?
>         C) What exactly will detonation do to an engine?
>     Neal Zimmerman, Eugene Oregon
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
>                           or over the web

Jeff Adams
64 Polara

Graduate in less than 13 months with AIU?s Online virtual
campus. Classrooms and student service as close as your
computer. Highly accredited, study anytime ? anywhere.
caaccM2b7yoMzf/ AIU

----

b7yoMz.