Re: Rear Axle Changes

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
caaccMVb7yoMza/ ExpertCity

On 13 05/20/04, Robert neal zimmerman wrote:
> >   I dont know my book I am looking at said that the 71 and up 8 3/4 rears had a wider width, while 62-70 were at 55.0inches flange to flange.

not so.  you might be reading the mopar chassis book.  this is an
inaccuracy.  I collected a list of flange to flange measurements for
various 8-3/4 housings. see: http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

the 64 was much wider than any other year B-body rear 62-70.  notice
the advertisements for the 64 Dodges which touted a "wider rear track".
check Hollanders interchange and you'll see the 64 rear interchanges
with *fullsize* Chryslers as well for 64.  the 63s were narrower than
any B rear that came in subsequent years.  I think the 66-67 is the
narrowest flange B housing, followed by the 65, and then the 68-70s..

On  Thu, 20 May 2004 21:08:52 -0700 Robert neal zimmerman wrote:
>  A) is the early 8 3/4 rear just as strong as the later one?

just as strong.

>       B) Is it this drum pulling that makes them tricky or are there
>       other drawbacks?

thats pretty much it.  another problem that tends to slip past the radar is
the 57-63 8-3/4 open diffs had a different thrust block width than the 64-74
8-3/4s.  57-63 8-3/4 SG diffs had the same thrust block width as all 64-74
8-3/4 SG & opens,  but those early open rears had a different thrust block
width. if you look in a parts manuals for the early cars, you'll see two
listings for axles for any given rearend housing, one axle for an open and
one for an SG  that makes a replacing an early 8-3/4 open chunk with
*any year* SG or a 64-74 open troublesome  (i.e. axle swap!).

some six cylinder 8-3/4 (non-trucks) came with a weird 8-1/4 ring gear
than fit a carrier that fit a STD 8-3/4 housing.  I think in 60-61
it had its own casting#, but in 62-63 they put the ring gear in a 741
carrier.  that was only on six cylinder --non-wagon-- B-bodies and Dodges
and Plymouth's ..

>        C) are the early rearends harder to find parts for or do they
>        interchange just fine?

the main differences in service items are the wheel bearing kits and
seals. the time last I checked (3yrs ago?) they were still available.
they will most likely be disco'd before the flange axle kits and
seals...  the bearing may be the same A7 bearing, but I think the collar
is a different one than the flange axle kits.

Doug Ahern
Athens, GA

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
caaccMMb7yoMzf/ Sharebuilder

----

b7yoMz.