Re: Salvage yard closing out

[AD removed for archives]
Get a FREE Mortgage Quote from Mortgage War. Simple application
for mortgage information. If you're ready to get a quote click
now!
caacneLb7yoMza/411Web

> Another point to remember is that once a wrecking yard closes, it's
> gone.
> The EPA regulations on wrecking yards makes it almost impossible to
> open a new
> one.  Where are our kids going to get 2002 to 2005 Neon parts?  Just
>
> thinkin.....Joe

Joe,  Your kind of right. The grandfather clause does help those yards
already in business, not have to upgrade to current standards. I always
have a bad feeling when I walk an old yard that has weeds, waist high.
Texas has the right kind of climate for snakes under every car, or the
rats that the snakes are there for. Poison oak and ivy, chiggers and
ticks, you really have to want to look around, and hope you don't find
something you want UNDER the car! Or you find a "newer" yard, where they
have a fork lift, and cars are stacked three and four high. Oil spills
and antifreeze puddles to waller in, and the sun always shines harder
when you start walking.
 BUT!  There are several newer yards here in Dallas, that are so cool to
shop in! First off, the whole yard is smooth with a gravel base. No giant
ruts or puddles to jump over. EVERY car in the lot is up on jack stands!
They lay a tire/rim down, and weld a rim only, to it upright. Every car
has four of these to set on. So you got at least 18 inches under every
car for harvesting drive train parts. The yards have to drain all fluids
from the incoming cars, before they get to put them out for parts. No gas
tanks for sale, but they drain them, and throw them in the trunks, for
the internal pumps or sending units. Sometimes they punch holes in the
pans that don't have drain plugs, so Chrysler trans pans always have a
1/2" hole in them.
 Every car make is separated into rows, and many times they are in sorted
by size too. These lots have "A" frames on wheels, so you can pull
engines and wheel it to the front. The wheels are those temporary spares,
and are pretty easy to roll. They also offer wheel barrows to rent, for a
dollar. Man, that makes life SO much easier! I can carry an arm load of
tool in, but those, AND parts, makes for a long walk to the front. Most
of the cars they handle are either police impound cars, or people getting
rid of that old junk in their back yards. You never know what you will
find. Most of their inventory will be ten years old, or older.  The
prices are usually pretty good, and posted on lists at the front, and
other places in the yard. No surprises at the cashier's window!  I hate
dealing with some of the old yards that size up your wallet, to price the
parts you spent hours collecting. I have walked away from those jerks
before, empty handed.  These nicer yards are in business to make money,
and sell parts like they have hundreds to replace the one you got in your
hand. A door, any door, complete, from any car in the lot, costs one
price. Doesn't matter if it came from a Cadillac or a Yugo. It's one
price. Truck parts are higher, but they have less of them.  Many times if
I need to replace a part on a car I'm working on, I will "practice" by
taking the part out at the yard, before I pull the part on my own
project. Lots easier to find those snags or hidden problems, on a part
that you won't be reusing. I have found some extremely good deals in the
past, and love to look for the hidden treasures that seem to be hiding
everywhere.  Some examples are a 3.91 sure grip,741 case differential
that was $35. plus a $5.00 core charge. A fairly new and shinny Carter
Competition series 750 cfm carb, was $30 because of being a four barrel.
{good carb, being used on a 400 right now} High performance exhaust
manifolds from a '67 383 were 22.50 each.  I recently bought a pair of
318 swirl port heads on "half price weekend" for $15 each.  Back glass
for a Charger cost me $13.00 a few years ago, and I have a '64 Dodge
hardtop back glass in my garage that wasn't much more than that. You just
never know what you will find, you just have to look. I don't miss those
"old" lots any more, but it is hard to go looking for that one special
part, that may never show up.   Tom in Dallas

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
caaciqZb7yoMzf/Sharebuilder

----

b7yoMz.