Re: long rams

[AD removed for archives]
Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
caacpgjb7yoMza/OmahaSteaks

Hi Neal!
             The Long Rams were used from 1960 to '63 in the Chrysler 300's
mostly;
in '60 they were available in the Full size Dodges Desoto's and Plymouths'
and were designated "Sonoramic induction"  There are two types of these
manifolds and they both look the same visually,the common one is the Long
ram which uses 30" ram tubes ,that is the  manifold runners are divided for
a full 30 inches almost right up to the carb plenum .These are the "mid
range" manifolds and start working at about 2600 RPM and stop working at
about 4500 RPM. Then there are the "short ram" (really rare and were found
on the 410 horse solid lifter 413's) which used 13" manifold runners ,you
can tell them apart by looking at the top of the manifold and simply looking
at how far the "valley"  travels up the manifold runner . These guys work as
good as the "Cross Ram" on the Max Wedges and start to work at about 4000
RPM and stop working at about 6500 RPM. Keep in mind that these are
approximate RPM's I may have the numbers off a bit but you get the idea.
With the proper camming ,timing and carb settings the Long Rams produce a
tremendous amount of low end torque, if you are lucky enough to find the
short ram you can get virtually the same performance as a Max Wedge(nudge
nudge wink wink say no more).
The visual impact of these manifolds is tremendous , I'm using a set of them
on my '63
but keep in mind some modifications of the passenger side fenderwell is
required to get them to fit on a "B" body. Braces also have to be made to
support the manifolds as you can't use the original "C" body cast exhaust
manifolds (with the hot air inlet).

Wally
63 Dodge etc.