Re: 361 engine modifications

[AD removed for archives]
Claim your tickets to Universal Orlando now
caacQ4Kb7yoMza/PermissionData

In a message dated 11/15/2004 3:20:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirkv76@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I may be coming into possession of a 361 engine.  NOw I know that this
was the predecessor to the 383 but that is all I know.  Is this an
engine that has much capacity for twekeing some extra horsepower out of
it?  Is there much in the way of aftermarket stuff that could make the
use of this engine viable for say a sleeper street rod project or
something?  Any ideas other than get another engine, would be greatly
appreciated.

Kirk

  The 361 is the same as the Chrysler 350, 383, and 400. All motors are low
deck big block Mopars. The 361 is a good economical motor with a two barrel
motor. Some 361 motors were equipted with the long ram cross induction. I believe
they were known as Sonoramic Comando engines. I could be wrong about that,
but I have seen the 361 with the long ram setup. The 361 will take the same cam
and heads as all the big block mopars with the exception of Max Wedge and of
course Hemi. Depending on the year and application of the motor you could have
adecent power plant to start with.361 engines were made up into the 1970's for
truck applications. The car engines dissapeared in 64, 65? Not sure which
year.  You can toss in a fairly good cam. I would maybe use a Mopar Purple shaft
cam. Something less than the 484 that is so popular. Put on a set of 516
closed chambered heads and you will jerk up your compression a bit.  Any after
market Big block (low deck) manifold will work. An Edelbrock 383 is a good choice.
Toss on an Eddelbrock 650 or 625 4 bbl carb and she will have lots of power.
You wont be winning any races at the track but it will have considerable power
for the street. The thing that holds the 361 back is the small pistons. Add
that to the fact that no one has  oversized slugs on the shelf and you quickly
find out the engines limitations.
Bob

[AD removed for archives]
Amazing Diet Patch