Re: Re:

[AD removed for archives]
Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
caacVmdb7yoMza/PermissionData

It should be pointed out the difference in width between the A/poly and the
LA/wedge is all in the heads.  The heads on the poly, with its splayed
valves (a sort of poor man's hemi), are wider than the wedge head where the
valves are all in a row.

The A first appeared in 1956 (277, 303) and lasted through 1966 in the U.S.
and 1967 in Canada.  Other A block sizes were 301, 313, 318 and 326.

The LA (Later A?) first appeared in the 1964 Valiant, Dart and Barracuda.
Besides having smaller heads, it also used the more modern thin wall casting
technique.  This does not mean the cylinder walls are thinner, it means it
was possible to cast the block with thinner outer walls (although you would
need a micrometer to measure the difference).  The thinner walls meant less
engine weight (cast iron is not noted for its lightness) and less cost in
raw materials.    Engines in the LA series included the 273, 318, 340 and
360.   The V6 used in the Dodge Dakota was also derived from the B block
318.

Bill
Vancouver, BC