In 1956 Ford and Chrysler offered lap belts in front as option on some
models, per
http://www.stnonline.com/stn/occupantrestraint/seatbelthistory/

Gary H.

P.s. More belt trivia, non-Mopar though:
Volvo had the first safety belts in 1849. The first U.S. patent for
automobile seat beats was issued to  Edward J. Claghorn of New York, New
York on February 10, 1885. Claghorn was granted United States Patent
#312,085 for a Safety-Belt for tourists, described in the patent as
"designed to be applied to the person, and provided with hooks and other
attachments for securing the person to a fixed object....Swedish
inventor, Nils Bohlin invented the three-point seat belt - not the first
but the modern seatbelt - now a standard safety device in most cars.
Nils Bohlin's lap-and-shoulder belt was introduced by Volvo in
1959....The first child car seats were invented in 1921, following the
introduction of the Henry Ford's Model T, however, they were very
different from today's car seat. The earliest versions were essentially
sacks with drawstring attached to the back seat. In 1978, Tennessee
became the first American State to require child safety seat use.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bl_seat_belts.htm

Bob Fortson wrote:

> I'm going way out on a limb here, but I believe the PRODUCTION offer of
> seat
> belts was the 56' Ford..(deep dish steering wheels, etc....safety is
> number
> one advertisiing, etc.)...Further, (and this is probably wrong) I
> believe
> that mopar offered the belts as options as early as 57/58...
> There may have been early "optional" belts...but you'd have to be REALLY
>
> older than me to remember them...
>
> Tongue in cheek
> Bob fortson

<snip>

[AD removed for archives]
Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
caacVmdb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.