Re: Cold start problem,please help!

[AD removed for archives]
** Get Your Own Support-a-Cure Yellow Bracelet for $1.99 **
Show your support for finding cures for both AIDS & Cancer.
Get yours for just $1.99. This bracelet makes a difference.
caacVlOb7yoMza/Penn Media

Hi Glen!
                  Well I don't know whats wrong with your slant but my '63
Dodge (220 Wagon, 225 cid Slant with 904 TorqueFlite ) was a flawless
starter in the cold (-30 to -35 Celsius was not a problem!) I equipped the
car with  a high cranking amp 500 or better
size 27 battery , along with that I did not scrimp on the tune up parts ,
the points and condenser were Blue Streak brand (Standard motor products
company) with the copper contact strip , the distributor was in flawless
condition with all connection surfaces to the engine clean and tight,
Ignition cables were Chryco 7mm  Hypalon with a Standard cap and rotor. All
electrical connections in the ignition system were clean and soldered (not a
crimp connection anywhere!); Ignition coil was the factory part . During the
tune up phase I adjusted the basic timing to 2.5 degrees before top dead
centre , curb idle speed (warmed up) to 625 rpm with the idle mixture
adjusted to its leanest setting using a vacuum gauge and tach to adjust .
Fast idle was set to 1100 Rpm (warm) Choke was the factory piece set to two
notches rich from index.  (Carburetor is a Carter Ball and Ball single) The
single barrell Holleys were just junk and if you have one get rid of
it....get a Carter!  So to continue..... Tappets to spec. Spark plugs were
Champion N-14-Y  gap .035 inches , (points set to .020 inches). I even used
only 10w30 oil summer or winter in it .
I honestly believe that you don't need a "crutch" like the MSD ignition ,
ensure that your slant is tuned to a knifes' edge  and it will never let you
down providing the engine itself is in good shape in as far as compression
etc. My Dodge had an awesome reputation for starting in the cold and it
never left me stranded....in fact I usually ended up boosting the cars of
the fellows I worked with after a day of sitting  with no block heater!
I'm sure you can get yours to perform  as well!

 Regards
  Wally
   63 Dodge etc.