RE: Buying a car long-distance...and shipping it...

RE: Buying a car long-distance...and shipping it...

[AD removed for archives]
Show your pride with a free* USA T-shirt.  Click here to confirm
your address.
caac8uda/PermissionData

Hi Andy,
   as mentioned already, you should try to get somebody to personally
check out the car for you.  A local member is great, especially since we
all tend to know what to look for in car of these years.  Next would be
an appraiser.  Might cost you $200, but it will be a detailed report on
the car.  (You might ask the seller to split the cost and he keeps the
appraisal.)  Next I'd recommend an auto club like AAA.  They have a
service to check out cars for about $60 or so.  But these are usually
modern cars, so you could find out that it's got 1/2 the brakes pads
left, but no rare options from '64, etc.
   I've checked out lots of cars for folks here in CA when possible.
But I always give the warning that I'm no expert.  (even though I've
taken appraisal courses) I'd feel terrible if I missed something and
that caused legal problems later.  Where an honest to goodness appraiser
will be legally bound to cover his a**...     Hope this helps.
   TP

Andy Grow wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions on purchasing a car long distance (via
> internet/phone/email)?  I've got a line on a car (truck, actually), but
> it's in Oklahoma...
>
> Also, any suggestions on companies to use to ship the vehicle to
> Michigan?
>
> Thanks.
> Andy

Tony Puig
Mountain View, CA
'65 Coronet 500 'vert
tpuig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

[AD removed for archives]
Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
caac8usf/ProductTestPanel

----

http:///u/?.