RE: Power-to-Manual Steering Conversion--Question!

RE: Power-to-Manual Steering Conversion--Question!

[AD removed for archives]
Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
caadtaJbOyW3Na/ProductTestPanel

Hi Menko,

I don't know why other folks would do it, but I did it to clean up my
engine compartment and because my car's a street/strip setup, I wanted
the performance gain of not having the pump drag and the extra weight.

Besides, if you have ever got one of these cars up to about 90+ MPH with
power steering, the feeling is very mushy, even if you are headed in a
straight line ...

Regards,

Jim

Menko Johnson wrote:

> Ok guys, need some help here.  This is something I've been wondering
> about ever since purchasing my mopar.  Lots of folks have converted
> their power steering and power brakes to manual steering and manual
> brakes.  Having both manual steering and brakes on my car, I wonder
> why anyone would want them.  The manual steering is a bear in tight
> spaces (lots and lots of turns) although part of that may be due to my
> 185/80/113 tires.  Power brakes I sort of udnerstand better since i've
> driven a few that seem to be either "on" or "off" and dont have much
> graduated response.
>
> So, why do manual steering?  I guess if I had a tighter ratio box it
> wouldn't take 50 turns point to point, but even then... ;-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Menko

Jim Jablonski
Royal Oak, Michigan
'64 Fury

[AD removed for archives]
Want a laptop? Get an Apple iBook for free!
caadtaHbOyW3Nf/Amazing Computer

----

bOyW3N.