Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:40:42 -0500
From: "Gary" <wedge65@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of a sprag?

"Also if the over running clutch fails....you have no high gear...."

I've always heard that if they explode, you have no tail end on your body. I
always use a bolt in on my race cars.
Gary Bradshaw Ft. Worth, Texas

hi list

I believe a failed over running clutch under power....causes over-speed and then destruction on a large scale.

My charger failed a tranny about 20 years ago during a trophy race semi-finals
while racing my brother lee.

I was just trying to keep my nose in front of him when something let go in the
traps...

Most of the parts came out when i dropped the pan...rear shaft and tail housng were
the only two remaining usable pieces. The case was cracked like the liberty bell and
the crack extended through the front pump...something inside the case got very big
for a short period of time.

I tried to bust up the case with a 16 pound sledge....it just bounced off....i did get
recycle money for the case.

Valve bodies that lock the low-reverse drum for added strength are susposed
prevent some or all  over running clutch failures.

rob in phx

[AD removed for archives]
Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
caadAcobOyW3Nf/ProductTestPanel

----

bOyW3N.