Re: 65 Belvedere - electric fan, fuel pump, etc.

#1, some people have an electric and mechanical fuel
pump, if you have a mechanical pump on the engine,
then you do not need to have the electric on. these
set-ups just use the electric to force feed the
mechanical pump. (not very common)
that said, if your fuel lines are not running through
a mechanical pump, you will need to run the pump to
keep the engine fed. usually this is hooked to the key
so when the car is off, the pump is off, the wiper
switch was just an available switch already mounted in
the car. (sometimes a theft deterrant)

#2, the fan is wired so after you shut the car off,
you can keep the fan on to cool the radiator, this is
often coupled with an electric water pump, which keeps
the cooled water running through the block.

#3, caution!!!, do not do your burnouts in 1st gear!!!
either start in first and shift right away or start in
2nd when burning out.

if you downshift the trans from drive to 2nd it will
downshift!!!, no different than downshifting a 4-speed
car. (picture your head hitting the windsheild)
the manual auto usually has a feature which allows you
to downshift from second through first, directly into
neutral, that is, it allows you to shift into first,
without actually down shifting the trans into first,
you will get used to down shifting from drive to 2nd
and sliding it through 1st and into nuetral when you
stop, like putting a 4 speed into nuetral at stops.
(it is a manual trans)nuetral to first locks it back
into 1st.
as far as the manual valve body goes, if you don't
like it, you can easily replace it with a normal valve
body.
the manual does not lose any shifting time like a
normal trans, that is its only purpose.

#3b,you should be able to see a line lock mechanism in
your brakelines, under the hood. if there is no line
lock, you may have a transbrake. usually you have to
hold the button to make the car backup, so it is
likely a linelock.

sounds like a well set-up car, good luck at the
track!!
tom
65 satellite

Yahoo! Mail