RE: chain slop

[AD removed for archives]
Get a Free Sirius Satellite Package, don't pass on this!
caadHlCbOyW3Na/ProductTestPanel

"There is a very simple check for a loose timing chain due to a broken
tensioner, worn gears, or a stretched chain. Pull the distributor cap
and observe the rotor position. Take a breaker bar and a appropriate
socket and put it on the crankshaft damper pulley. If you have a degree
wheel put it on the damper pulley else you can just chalk mark the
timing mark position at the appropriate time.

Now - slowly turn the crankshaft pulley in a clockwise direction. Watch
the distributor and observe that the rotor is moving. Stop turning. Now
- mark the damper pulley position with the chalk or observe the degree
wheel. Very carefully turn the crankshaft in the other direction and
VERY carefully observe the rotor in the distributor. The instant it
begins to move STOP turning and mark the crankshaft position again.
Measure the number of degrees of rotation of the crankshaft. If there is
a lot of slop in the chain then you will have moved the crankshaft ten
or fifteen degrees (or more) before taking the slop out of the chain
after the reversal before the camshaft began to turn. Get the picture??
If all is well and there is no slack in the timing chain then you will
see about three to five degrees of "reverse motion" before the
distributor begins to turn."

See the full article on http://www.misterfixit.com/chanslop.htm

Let us know what you find as the problem on your engine.

Thanks,
Gary H.

Robert neal zimmerman wrote:
> hmmmm! this could be it. , it seems like it takes a looonnnggg time for
> that rotor to start moving the other way.
>    Neal Zimmerman,Eugene oregon

[AD removed for archives]
Get $1,000 to spend on groceries? any way you please. Click here!
caadHlsbOyW3Nf/GrocerySpree

----

bOyW3N.