Re: Under carpet sound / heat shield

[AD removed for archives]
caad3p7bOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

If you want to upgrade the sound insulation quality of what is under your
carpet, hit your local pick-a-part yard (or equivalent).   The higher end
cars have excellent underlay for sound insulation plus you can pick up
pieces to cover the rear wheel wells behind the seat plus over the trunk
floor (if you are really into quiet).  You can also get the insulation used
behind the rear seat back (they haven't used caerboard in twenty years) that
you can place between the seat back and the cardboard divider.

Make sure you measure the floor, from the rear axle to the top of the front
toeboard, and from one side to the other.  You may need to strip more than
one car as cars today are a little narrower inside than in the 1960's.   And
wheelbase is no guarantee, either.  On a 1964 Studebaker Daytona sedan (113"
wheelbase) I once owned,  I stripped the interior of a 1977 Gran Fury 2-door
hardtop (122" wheelbase), taking the underlay and carpetting.   Although the
Gran Fury carpet was too wide (just trimmed it), it was also 6" too short!
Turns out the Studebaker rear seat was closer to the rear axle than the Gran
Fury and the front wheels were closer to the firewall on the Studebaker.

And it you are really energtic, you can take the door panels and rear shelf
off to retrieve the thin sound materials and use them on your car.  It does
work.  Did this on the Studebaker and on a 1965 Valiant Signet I owned.
Surprising how much quieter the cars were with the more modern materials,
plus the fact I used the stuff on areas that weren't sound proofed at the
factory - door panels, parcel shelf, seat back, trunk floor.   Of course,
this stuff does weigh more.

Bill
Vancouver, BC