Re: vertigate shifter?

[AD removed for archives]
Oprah vs Dr. Phil- who is your favorite? Vote now.
caaeatsbOyW3Na/Your opinion

On 04 11/09/05, Don Hudson wrote:
> Will either of these shifters work with A Bodies or are they just for B/E
> Bodies.

A-bodies used Hurst shifters just like the B/E's.  they did make use of
different mount pads (the aluminum piece that bolts to the tailshaft
housing, and provides the mount for the shifter.  these pads position
the shifter slightly different for whatever application.  thats
not to say that a B body pad wouldn't work with a A-body.

also, the shifter used on 64-66 A-bodies pointed the shifter handle
provision forward, and on small B-bodies,  the rearward. (I'm talking
about the stalk that comes out of the shifter that the chrome shift
handle bolts to...).  again, not a show stopper, but if you have an
original A-body handle and you put it on a b-body shifter it'll tilt
the shift handle back a ways.  On my 63 Dodge,  I'm using a 65 B-body
shift handle (see link),  if I were using an A-body shifter I'm sure
the shift knob would not clear the dash for the positions of
Reverse, 1st, and 3rd.  going into reverse, with my hand on the knob,
I barely clear the heater controls!

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/msl/?5301

[AD removed for archives]
caaeatrbOyW3Nf/PC PowerScan