RE: burnt exhaust valves

[AD removed for archives]
caaegt3bOyW3Na/PC PowerScan

Speaking of dear old dad, mine used to do the exhaust thing too. Thing is he was generally right about it too. I used to think maybe he just caught on to the "sound" of the bad valve. Years ago I bought a mostly junk '69 Charger for the motor and tranny (the 383 sits in my '63 'vert now), which when you turned the engine with the starter it had a slight "skip" as if it had low compression on one cylinder. I immediately thought of a valve goin out, but after he did his exhaust test, he proclaimed that was not the case. A compression check indeed showed one cyl somewhat down. Pullin the head showed no valve problems, lookin at the pistons did tho. It had been "rebuilt" by a local vocational school student, who had replaced one piston. It had 7 flat tops and one low compression piston. We found lots of other goofs and gafs too, but thats another story. My Mopar addiction came from him too. Started with a 41 Plymouth business coupe he had. "PeeWee" he called it. He also put together a 48 Dodge my brother and I used to blast around the pasture with. Split the exhaust manifold with dual pipes straight out the hood. WooHoooo,, what a blast we had !! Thanx for stirring the good memories Neil.

Jake

  Come to think of it now i remember seeing my dad when he was test
  driving a used car put his hand up to the tailpipe when the engine was
  running, i wonder if thats what he was checking.
   PS- anytime i mention dad i have to mention that  he worked in the
   Dodge plant in San Leandro, CA.when he returned from fighting in the
   pacific in WW2( before they moved the plant   down to Los Angeles
   sometime i the early fifties) , its his fault i ended up a mopar
   freak! dear old dad.

   neal Zimmerman, eugene Oregon>

--

[AD removed for archives]
New Apple® iPod® nano. As Thin as a No. 2 Pencil. Stores up to 3 Days of Songs! Get it Here FREE*!

----

bOyW3N.