a-body axles

I have purchased two rearends for my 67 cuda. first i found a really
good deal on an 8.25 setup, because i had given up on ever finding an
8.75  rear.
   wouldnt u know, i found the 8.75 rear the next week.
  so now i have two a body rears
    BUT, anyhoo-
  i  have researched a little about the 8.25 rear a bit- there is a
  Mopar action article on how to beef one up:
  u use a differential from a 97 and up rear along with the heavier
  axles that came with it, THink  "Dakota".
   The axles are much beefier  than the original 70s units.I realize it
   would take quite a bit of work anyway and maybe just dropping the
   dough for a 8.75 would really be smarter.
   in that article as well they mention the c-clip problems, but they
   also say they actually never saw a failure in a mopar 8.25, generally
   seen in the GM  rears that use the c-clips.
   I plan on sticking the 8.25 into my cuda  for a temporary  winter
   rearend until i can  rebuild the 8.75 with 4.5 inch pattern axles,and
   other beefy goodies, and then stick that in.
   another note:  the  a-body 8.25 is  NOT that easy to find either,
   contrary to popular belief the 8.25 DID NOT replace the 7.25 in 1973,
   and  MOST A-bodies from 73-76 will still have the 7.25  although with
   a larger bolt patttern.If it was a 1973 cuda with a 340 u would find
   an 8.25 or a Dart sport with a 360, etc. ( hi-perf) but most slant 6
   /318 cars are still gonna have a 7.25
   further note : pre73 7.25 backing plates are unique, will not go on
   anything else, i learned this the hard way
    neal zimmerman, eugene oregon

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different?

----