Re: How best to drive my 62 Dart on the strip

Re: How best to drive my 62 Dart on the strip

There are too many factors involved for anyone to help you very much from
afar.

When working on launch techniques, you need to focus on the 60-foot time on
the printout they give you after each run.  You want to avoid excessive
wheelspin, that is energy not used going forward.  If you have a video phone or
camera, paint with white shoe polish, a fat stripe on the tire sidewall.  Watch the
video in slo-mo, look for how much wheelspin occurs.

You will have to do trial and error attempts, such as, leaving at idle rpm,
leaving at 1,000, leaving at 2,000, etc. to see what works.

There are many issues, such as type of tires, tire pressures, torque
converter stall speed, what rpm the cam begins to really produce usable power, that
you just need to go do a lot of racing to learn what works.  That's not a bad
thing, right?

Keep a detailed logbook of every run, what you change, etc.  Otherwise, you
will have trouble understanding what various changes produce.

Just go have fun, don't worry about beating everyone you line up against,
ignore those who are so-called experts unless they are actually running a car at
the track that consistently performs well.

Onece you have the car running consistent times, change only one thing at a
time per run, keep that log.  I had a buddy who would change tire pressures,
change carb jetting and launch rpm all at one.....how can you tell what made any
difference?

Have fun!

--

----