RE: wow! how do u drop a 440 into an early mopar

RE: wow! how do u drop a 440 into an early mopar

I sent Neal a couple of pictures of a 61 Plymouth 2dr sedan Police car
that I used to own. This was Highway Pursuit car with a Commando 395
(That's what Plymouth called the 361 4 bbl because of it's torque
rating) and a 3 speed stick on the column and some kind of crazy highway
gears. It couldn't lay rubber but I had it up to 105 in second gear one
night and it was still climbing. I have no idea why the Village of
Farnham, NY had this car. They had a part time police force and about 3
miles of roads to patrol. They used the car from 1961 to 1979 and
finally sold it with 19,000 miles on it because nobody was stopping
anymore. They bought a 6 cylinder Ford after that.

The 61 Plymouth falls into the "It's so ugly it's cool" catagory. I used
to get remarks like "How many flashlight batteries do the taillights
take?" and "How come the front end looks like the rear end of a 58
Chevy?" I prefer to call it unique but not quite as unigue as the 61
Dodge. When my Dad went to look at the new 61 Dodges he said "I guess
they didn't know what to do next so they put the fins on backwards" Then
he bought a left over 1960 Dodge.

Dan

Paul Lennemann wrote:

> My 2nd car which I bought in 1969 was a 61 Belv. I put it in a ditch on
> a gravel road the first night I had it.  It pushed the front bumper up
> 3"-4".  It almost improved it's looks.  My older brother pointed out the
>
> next day that it was missing one upper control arm bushing on both
> sides.  That was vindication for him calling me a dumbass!
>
> Paul L.
>
> Ron Crossley wrote:
> >
> > Hi -
> >
> > Since all the Mopars between '58 and '61 except the Valiant came with
> > big blocks I wouldn't think there would be a problem.
> >
> > I owned a '61 Fury in '66. Loved the car even though it had a look that
> > only a mother could love. Still like that look.
> >
> > Ron

----

bSONJP.