Re: 65 coronet models

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Ahern" <D170A833@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 8:36 PM
Subject: Re: 65 coronet models

On 57 12/14/06, Gary H. wrote:
Hum. 1965 may be unique then. Jim Schield's booklet "Authenticity Guide
-- 1965 Dodge and Plymouth Hemi Super Stocks" says that under the BDY on
the Dodge Super Stock fender tag is W11 & 11 represents the body as the
low-line-two-door sedan. It then says that at the beginning of the 1965
model year the tag had 421 instead of W11.
"This [421] car had cheaper interior trim and no side moldings. The
low-line Coronet was dropped early in the model year and the Coronet
Deluxe became the lowest line. All Super Stock cars are 11 even though
they did not have the side moldings standard on the Coronet Deluxe."

yeah,, humph.. is right...

Galen's production book spells out different production numbers for
1966 WE* Coronets 2dr and 4dr sedans,  the WE Coronets were a fraction
of the production numbers of the Coronet Deluxes.
Galen breaks it down to 225s, 361s, 3spd, 4spd, and autos for both WE
and WL cars..   plus there are documented WE21H6 cars and WL21H6 cars..,

Krause's Standard Catalog of Chrylser details production differences
between Coronets and Coronet Deluxes for 1966.

For 1965,  Galen's book lists W15 Coronet Deluxes and W25 Coronets.
he has some eng/tranny break outs...  The Krause book doesn't cover
the "Coronet" ,, listing only production info for the W15's.. it
lists total production as being 63100, whereas Galen lists W15+W25
production at 71880...

skipping up to the 1967s, there is a WE Coronet and a WL Coronet Deluxe.
both Galen and Krause note it.  by 1968 the "Deluxe" moniker was
rationalized away,, and lets face it.., there was nothing deluxe
about a Coronet Deluxe...

as far as the 1966s go, the difference is so minor,, that it can only
be thought that this was an idea  that came up at some boardroom
discussion that they'd make *4* distinct model Coronets, so buyers
would have lots of choices,, but when it came down to making
model dictinctions,,  the deletion of some belt line molding was all
they could come up with...,

Very interesting information on the 65 body styles. I have the original broadcast sheet for my very basic 2 dr post 65 Coronet and under body it shows W21. This car does not have the side trim so I would assume that it is the cheapest of the cheap. Would think that it fits in the 421 body style but it clearly shows W21. Anyone have some clarification on this?
Thanks
Darrell
Winnipeg.

----