RE: Heater Core and overheat

Sizie52@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks so much for all who responded to my heater core questions. I have
>
> looked around and found a shop who can get my heater core re-cored in 4
> to 5
> days! A friend suggested that at the time I replaced my heater core that
> I also
> get a new heater control switch. I may have a source to locate this
> switch...but  having more than one place to look is very helpful...any
> one have any
> other  ideas where I can find a heater control switch?
>   This is for my 1962 Dodge dart Wagon with 318 engine and factory  AC.
>
>  Sean...all of your ideas are very helpful, however...I have noticed
>  that my
> car runs hot after I have been running it a while during long
> distances...say 30 minutes or more. It never seems to get to the highest
> end of  hot or over
> heat...just running on the mid point between the middle of the temp
> control
> and the high end of the temp control. It worries me when it does this as
> can smell the fluids burn...or the antifreeze and I have NO leaks?
> What do you or anyone else think about this and to the fact that my
> heater
> core hoses have been bypassed...not capped or disconnected?
>
> If anyone knows if that heater core on e-bay I sent info on in an
> earlier
> e-mail works with my car and the factory AC...sandon air
> compressor...please let
>  me know asap!
>
> Susan R. Higgins

I'll offer an opinion here.  It would seem that while taking the heater
core out of the loop will lessen the total amount of coolant in the
system, it doesn't seem like it would make that much difference in the
scheme of things if everything else is in good condition.  Especially
since w're not seeing summer time like temps yet.  Not sure what part of
the globe you call home.  But around here it has only reached @ 80
degrees so far.
Back in the day (forgive the old timer moment here)I had a '61 Plymouth
in which was installed a shut off valve to the heater core.  In the
summer time I would close this valve to keep the hot coolant from
flowing through the core.  The idea being it would help to keep the
interior temps down in a non-a/c car.  It never affected the engine
operating temps.
I think all of the suggestions given here are good ones.  Basically they
all lead to making sure all of the components are operating at peak
efficiency.
With all this in mind I have my own over heating issue as noted in an
earleir post.  So I should probably follow some of the advice offered
here as well.  The first thing should probably be to have the radiator
flow tested.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727