overheat or running on the hot end

WOW! You folks here are the best at giving some really good advice  about
cars running hot. Here are the details. I live in Kingston, NY  between Albany
and NYC. The summers here can range from 70 to 100  degrees...closer to the 80's
and 90's.

During the summer when I use my car the most on some of those hot days and
not running the AC as my car tends to run hot to nearly and to  overheat...the
temp gauge will rise past the mid point and run between the mid  point and the
red of the high point after I have been driving for over 30  minutes up to an
hour. It worries me that it will start to overheat while I am  so far from
home...an hour away. So far, it has not overheated on these little  road trips.
My car only has only overheated once during a parade...my car has  never been
the same since and tend to run on the hotter side.

  I have not had the system flushed but I did have the thermostat  replaced
180 degree and gasket, new radiator cap, belts, pumps, checked the  flow,
fluids and everything else checked and was told all was in excellent  condition. I
didn't notice gauge of new radiator cap, I didn't do the work.  Will check on
this.

  I have thought of yanking the thermostat, but didn't know if I  should
really do this or not; any suggestion as to if I should? I do have AC,  but rarely
use it. I did yank the thermostat out of my 1974 Dodge dart  Swinger and
never had anther problem with overheating, but I lived in Houston,  TX at the time
but no longer have this car, I can get it if I really wanted  it..but it is a
junker, even though I love it.

Susan