Re: Paint Job Question?

Mine is getting a complete paint job. Have a Mopar
body man also. He told me what to do to save $. He did
help remove the windshield though. Dash has is out and
repainted. I left under dash wiring in. I removed all
other wiring completely throughout the car.Pass. comp.
is bare. All brake lines and master underhood. It is
bare! Most chrome with the exception of the roof rails
above the doors.I used paint thinner and a scraper to
remove all the sealer between the seams under the hood
and in the pass. comp.so they could be resealed
properly. I had to have new metal put on the bottom
quarters for major body work. I found 2 very nice frt.
fenders for replacements too. I figure I spent about
10 hrs. doing what I did.  With cars as old as
ours,you don't know what you're going to find for rust
underneath until you get there,so be prepared for
that. A lot of people make that mistake and get
shocked with what is found. I figure I'll have app.
8-9K in paint and body when I'm done.I'll be helping
remove doors,trunk,etc. when he starts edging to save
more labor. Find a good,friendly guy who will work w/
you. Makes all the difference. I went w/ FG bumpers
for now.Saving about 500.00 there. I'm going with
Indigo Blue for paint. Check that one out.It's a
gorgeous color. Had all the small int. and ext. parts
rechromed either at Mr.G's or a local plating co.That
was another 700 there.
--- Tom Duross <tduross1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there any members who have recently done a
> repaint of their car?
> I'm hoping to have my 64 Belvedere 4 door done very
> soon.
> Much of the primer is showing, I have some metal to
> replace (got the
> panels).
> It's original paint, faded more in places than
> others, and the metal is 99%
> good.
>
> I don't know if a complete stripping of the car is
> in order, if so I'd like
> to do as much as I can myself.
> I plan to undress her completely, have the
> stainless, bumpers and pot metal
> done while it's being painted.
> I've put off painting for 2 years and I can't wait
> any longer.
> I'm changing the color from light blue to dark blue
> metallic, with a little
> flake (just a bit).
> I plan to have the door jambs, engine compartment
> and trunk done too.
> Complete paint job.
>
> This is the car that will get the stroker when done.
>
> Tell me what you did, system used and what sort of
> prep was involved.
> I'd like to spend as much time as I can on prep, I
> know how important it is.
>
> Tom Duross
> Boston
> Go Red Sox
>

> ----
> Please address private mail -- mail of interest to
> only one person -- directly to that person.  I.e.,
> send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well
> as other personal messages only to the intended
> recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This
> practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total
> volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to
> Mopar topic.  Thanks!

George