Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 12:28 AM
Subject: UK Maxie progress...

Well, kinda getting somewhere.

My brother (Stuart) & I both had the afternoon off work so we could get
the car down to a mid-week show/cruise in North London at a place called
the Ace Cafe (http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/dis.htm#Table). You may
have seen it in an American Chopper episode!
As it's only a few miles from the garage of the guy that built our
engine, we arranged to get down there a bit earlier and take the car in
to have look at what could be causing our driveline vibrations.
Up on the ramp, and able to give the crossmember & prop a good old
'wiggle' (not so easy with the car on axle stands), we could see that
the trans mount and rear UJ needed some attention. We just about managed
to get the trans mount out from the crossmember without dropping the
exhaust, and found that the rubber block had almost split into two. Not
able to do much about that, there and then, we put it back in place with
a view to getting a replacement.
Next up was to see what was causing the UJ to move around when fully
clamped in position. We found that the circlips inboard of the bearing
caps are too thin in cross-section for the grooves in the UJ. This came
about because the company that rebalanced the prop & fitted the new UJ,
forgot to supply the circlips, so Paul (the engine builder) fitted some
that he thought were ok. Turns out they were metric, not imperial (inch
size) as they needed to be.
Hopefully getting some Imperial circlips from our trans guy.
The other area we thought might be contributing to the vibrations was
the deeper sump which was just touching on the drag-link. Stuart got
some 2 & 3 mm thick plates made up at work to fit under the engine
mounts so we fitted one of each (total 5mm) under each engine mount to
raise the engine & sump to clear the drag-link.

Unable to locate the earlier style of trans mount in rubber, we've
ordered one from Schumacher with polyurethane. Hopefully this wont be
too stiff?

We're hoping these 3 things will go a long way to cutting out some of
the bad vibes we get when we try & accelerate from anything above 40mph.

Anyway, back to the fun stuff. We got back to the Ace Cafe around 5.30pm
before the car park got rammed, and consequently couldnt leave till it
cleared out soon after 11.

One of the best night of the year round these parts, as pretty well
anything goes out on the road in front of the Cafe. It's amazing how the
police havent clamped down more!

Some pics here that I took:
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h233/rob426uk/Executioners%20Spring%20Riot%202007/

and some by one of the more keen photographers within our club:
http://www.grantgb.com/springriot2007.htm

Another good show coming up in a couple of weeks at Brooklands, the
world's oldest purpose-built racing circuit. Hopefully get the trans
mount & circlips sorted out before then.

Bye for now

Robert
England

----