RE: New Chrysler Corp. commercial

What?!?  Catch up to Pontiac?  Everything I've ever read that gives the
GTO credit for "creating" the musclecar states overwhelmingly that it
was because Pontiac, as you say, had the "guts to take the risk" of
PUTTING A BIG ENGINE IN A MIDSIZED CAR, ad infinitum.  That's all the
writers ever talk about.  Yes, it was risky and took guts--over at GM,
where this was forbidden.  This was old news over at Chrysler, who had
been doing just that since 1962, as common practice, mind you, with
361's, 383's, etc.  So, once this "proved popular, and profitable, did
the others climb on board," confuses me.  Did Chrysler stop doing this
briefly, then start up again after the GTO?  Nope.  All Pontiac did was
MARKET the concept superbly.  In my book, "marketing" a product and
"creating" a product are two very different things.  John DeLorean, and
his GTO, were latecomers to Mopar's dance.  They just went home with the
girl.

Sean

Jim Ozolins wrote:

Chrysler, Ford, and the rest of GM had to catch up to Pontiac after the
introduction of the GTO. Only Pontiac had the foresight and the guts to
take the risk, and once it proved popular, and profitable, did the
others climb on board.

----