trans ID

  Years ago Bill Watson identified a transmission for me. Again very
grateful.
Once again I need some help from him, or the group.
I know it's  a pain to look this stuff up, but I'm also trying to date
the engine using the trans as a guide.

I just picked up a 727 out of a motor home, and I need to know what
year, etc.
I know it's a big block trans out of a motor home, but that's all I know.
This thing was behind a big block like I've never ever seen.

the number on the trans is:
 PK2981920L 29741579

Can anyone identify it for me?

  Thanks

  Jimmy

Bill Watson wrote:

>P3681052406977778

 P3681052 - Part number :
  1972-73 Torqueflite (A-727) that fits A, B & E bodies :
      1972 340 V8 (late)
      1972 340 V8, with damper weight provision (late)
      1973 340 V8

  4 - Change Code

  0697 - Build date : Sure the first digit is a "0"?

  7778 - 7,778th unit built that day

That is the way the number should decode.  But if the change code was
placed at the end of the numbers :

  4069 - Build date : September 17, 1972 (1973 model year)

  7777 - 7,777th unit built that day

Bill
Vancouver, BC