proportioning valve

Hi all, got a question about my 64 Cudas  brake upgrade.
  They did the disc brake upgrade and the car has a new  safety
valve(??)) or proportioning valve(??)   ( I dont understand the
difference) but it is signifigantly bigger than the factory block.
   BUT I dont like where its mounted , too close to the headers.
    can i move this to the fenderwell or does it need to be BELOW the
master cylinder?? If i moved it to the fender well it would be almost
level with the master cylinder, slightly lower , but not by much.
  neal zimmerman, eugene oregon