RE: Mopar 15"ers?

Robert (UK) wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Further to the recent brief discussion on Studebaker 15" steel wheels
> being a suitable alternative to Mopar 15" steels, for fitting the early
> dog dishes....
>
> What Mopars were fitted with the 15" wheels that these hub caps are
> suppose to fit?
> As far as I know, passenger cars didnt come with 15's till a few years
> later, so was it vans/campers/pick-ups etc?
> Can anyone be specific?
> If so, what widths did they come in?
>
> I'm hoping someone over here has a set tucked away off an old pick-up or
>
> similar....
> Hoping....
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert
> England

The correct large center wheels are usually found on 1/2 ton pickups,
some vans, and some big wagons (usually had the tow package) up through
'67. They're pretty easy to spot regardless of whether the tires are on
or off the rims. They have one extra locating hole between 2 stud holes.
You are very unlikely to find the A-990, 10 hole 15" wheels over there.
If the tires are off the rims they usually carry a stamping code of
92516 and the size (15x5K, 15x5.5K) stamped between the beads. These are
commonly referred to as the elusive "K" wheels. I think i still have 8
or 10 of these in the basement. I quit looking for them a while back.
Ironic, since I drive by a 67 truck with those wheels on it everyday...

I use Tru Design wheels here in Denver for my wheels. Jim offers great
service and short turnaround times. It's not brain surgery, so you
should be able to find someone to widen and powder coat a set without a
problem - even in England.

Dave Walters
Denver,CO.

----