RE: Alternative on Dash Clock Conversions

RE: Alternative on Dash Clock Conversions

Hi Paul,

I can't see why putting a regulator that goes down to 1.5 volts would
not work.  I think that, just like the conversion mentioned in the web
site about the dash gauge voltage regulator upgrade, there may be a heat
sink required.

Whether is is a 12-1.5 or  5 to 1.5 I think really depends on where you
get the power.  The clock is to have power all the time, so you have to
choose wisely.

Before you rip you dash apart, take your battery powered clock assembly,
get a 12-1.5 regulator and hook it up to a car battery and see if the
regulator heats up and whether the clock keeps time for a couple of
days.

At this point, I can't see why it would not work.  The motor is not
going to know if the power is coming fromm a duracell or a car battery
regulated down to 1.5 volts.

Please let us knnow what you decide to do.

Regards,

Kevin Merkley P.Eng (Mechanical)

Paul Lennemann wrote:

> I tried to get a straight answer on this question out of my
> father-in-law who has a Phd. in Physics but I didn't quite get there.
> What I was able to come up with though was the thought that you could go
>
> to Radio Shack and get a solid state voltage regulator.  This should be
> very inexpensive.  You could get one that would either knock the voltage
>
> down from 12v - 1.5v or one that would go from 5v - 1.5v tapping into
> the voltage supply coming out of the instrument voltage regulator.  What
>
> I did get out of the father-in-law was that you just figure it as a
> straight ratio.  12/1.5 = 8 so you would get a voltage regulator that
> would reduce the voltage by a factor of 8.  Or 5/1.5= 3.33  Does this
> help?
>
> Paul L.
> '63 Sport Fury
> 440/727
> http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html
>
> Jeff Adams wrote:
> >
> > The parts at Radio Shack are dirt cheap. When I converted my dash
> > cluster regulator I had $16 in everything, including 3 rolls of wire.
> > Dodger7998@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > >

> > > yes it could be done,,,,,,,guess that I am marching to a different  drum
> > >

> > > thou
> > > gh, having a working clock in my 62-65 is of little importance to me,
> > > and
> > > would much rather spend that monies toward something else that would be
> > > more
> > > noticeable to the general public, or towards performance, however if you
> > >

> > > have
> > > unlimited funds to spend on the car ,,,,,,,, go for it
> > >

> > > In a message dated 1/30/2009 9:08:25 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> > > ledman_70@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> > >

> > > I've  thought about this before, but since we have been able to use a
> > > small  Radio Shack voltage regulator to replace the regualtor in our
> > > gauge  clusters, why can't we just wire a small regulator/resistor into
> > > battery  operated clock??? They just run on one 1.5 volt battery. Does
> > > this sound  feasible to anyone?

> > > Jeff Adams
> > > 64  Polara
> > >

> > > ----
> > > Please address private mail -- mail of interest to  only one person --
> > > directly to that person.  I.e., send parts/car  transactions and
> > > negotiations as
> > > well as other personal messages only to the  intended recipient, not to
> > > the
> > > Clubhouse public address. This practice will  protect your privacy,
> > > reduce the
> > > total volume of mail and fine tune the  content signal to Mopar topic.
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > '62 to '65 Mopar Clubhouse  Discussion Guidelines:
> > > http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html.
> > >

> > > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
> > > easy
> > > steps!
> [...]