From: Butch Edison [mailto:waedison@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:45 PM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Understanding cooling systems

I have two 1964 Plymouth Sport Furys. One has a 383, the other a 440. The 383 runs hot, the 440 does not. Both cars appear to have the correct radiator, although that's a guess on my part. Neither has a fan shroud, nor the original viscous fan setup. The 383 does not have an air dam between the bumper and the radiator (which I'm correcting this weekend), the 440 does have an air dam. The 383 (runs hot) has an electrical fan on it. When I run the electrical fan, the car runs cooler, but not down to normal. I just had the 383 (runs hot) back flushed at a radiator shop. They got some crud, not a lot.

I'm trying to take a logical approach to correcting whatever is wrong with the 383 without using an electrical fan. It runs cooler without a thermostat. Most of the time it runs just a little above normal without the thermostat. With a thermostat, it runs close to the hot indicator, even though temps here are in the 40s right now. So, what's happening? Does it run cooler without the thermostat because more coolant is going through the system? If so, then I can assume that a higher flow water pump could help. I know from this forum that a radiator has to flow at a certain rate to work most efficiently, so you can push coolant through too fast for it to cool, but if my thinking is correct, a higher output water pump could help me out.

I'd appreciate your thinking on this, as I've seen so many threads on the forum dealing with this subject.

Thanks/Butch/Ferndale, WA

----

${bottom_text_ad}
----