Re: 440 Engine block ID

Rich,

I just bought a 440 on Thursday that I think it has almost the same casting number as yours.  I think mine is 4006630-440-4.  I'd have to check to be sure - I have the numbers written down at home.  Mine is a '78 block out of a motorhome.  My stamp pad has 440 and an E and an F on it.  there's also a very faint character before the 440 that I can't make out yet.  Mine supposedly has only 50,000 miles on it (and it does look like it, too).  Curiously, it appears that one head is correct to be the original while the other is of '75 vintage.  But the heads weren't on it, so maybe the seller got things mixed up when he was giving me parts.  Those heads are the same as far as I've been able to determine anyway.  I thought it was a good deal at $100.  The short block is complete (minus oil pan), and it came with the heads, all of the valves - with double springs, and a single 4 intake.

Dave