RE: pleasae explain mopar throttle kickdown to me - another long-winded

RE: pleasae explain mopar throttle kickdown to me - another long-winded explanat

Neal,
	Exactly.  The transmission gear timing is controlled by two forces -
the throttle pressure, which is set by your right foot, and governor
pressure, which is regulated by a weighted valve on the output shaft of the
transmission.

	As throttle pressure (your foot on the pedal) increases, shift
points raise, to the point that the transmission will downshift if vehicle
speed (governor pressure) is low enough.  As vehicle speed (and governor
pressure) increases, it takes more throttle pressure to "kick down" the
transmission to a lower gear.

	I like to explain it by putting my two fists together with my elbows
pointed out -  great in person but hard to visualize in an email.  If your
left arm is throttle pressure (accelerator position) and your right is
governor pressure (vehicle speed) the point where your knuckles meet is the
upshift/downshift point.  More throttle pressure (left arm moves fists to
right) raises the shift points, and more governor pressure (right arm moves
fists to left) causes shifts to occur sooner - downshifts take more throttle
pressure.  Hope that makes some sense.

	So if you see a car with no throttle pressure linkage, one of two
situations exist.  Either;

A) the car is equipped with a manual shift valve body, which as the name
implies has no automatic shifting features, the driver manually selects each
gear, or;

B) the car drives poorly and will need a transmission overhaul soon.

	There's nothing like a crisp shifting TorqueFlite, although it's
easy to overdo it - the transmissions are over-engineered for all but the
highest horsepower racing/pulling applications.  I personally like shifting
a hot street/strip car, so I run Turbo-Action Cheetah valve bodies.  It
makes driving a little more interactive, and eliminates the need for the
"dreaded" kickdown linkage, which is actually quite simple.

	Rick Allison at A&A Transmission outside of Indianapolis has done a
great job of working out the governors so you can fine-tune your upshifts.
A&A has governor kits that allow you to tailor your automatic shift speeds
to your particular combination.  They also make complete throttle linkage
kits for specific applications, which can be used on our '62-'65 cars as
well.

	Hope this helps...
SC