To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: Newly Acquired Custom 880

Below is what Dave wrote. (Dave, try setting your gmail settings to "plain text" to send a email through Topica.)

Welcome Dave!

My two cents is it is unlikely that a distracted or bored or hung over (or whatever!) assembly worker put the letters on incorrectly. Each letter should have pins on the back that stick through the deck lid -- but each letter should have a different pattern that would prevent such a spelling boo-boo.

Thanks,
Gary H.

Hello all,

My name is Dave, and I just picked up a 1962 Custom 880 4 door Sedan with
the 361, 73,000 miles. The car has been parked for 18 years so needless to
say, it needs a bit of everything. I just finished rebuilding the carb and
hope to fire it up soon so wish me luck! Pictures can be seen at this
address:

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/dodgecar/

I'll have plenty of mechanical questions in the future, but for now I have
one concerning some history. As you can see in one of the pictures, the
DODGE emblem is misspelled on the trunk as "DOGDE". The gentleman I bought
the car from was told that the mistake was done at the factory, and makes it
a desirable car. I searched all over the web for any little tidbit of
information but couldn't find anything on the subject. This is a 2 owner
car, with the first being a WWI veteran, and the 2nd a non-enthusiast that
used it as his daily driver, so I don't believe either one would
deliberately change the emblem. By the patina around the letters you can
tell its been done a long time ago, and the trunk appears original to the
car (unlike the passenger fender). This "rarity" did not influence my
decision to purchase the car in any way, so don't feel bad about hurting my
feelings if you have bad news lol!

I'm also in the market for some non-cracked brake light lenses, if you
happen to have some laying around....

Thanks!

- Dave

----