To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 10:48 AM
Subject: Repair Mistakes & Blunders

This applies to our favorite cars too, so I'm passing it along, from a RockAuto newsletter:

When I was 16 I owned a 1966 Plymouth Fury. I enjoyed the car and did most of the mechanical work myself. One weekend I decided to replace the rear brake shoes. Simple enough I thought, just remove the wheel, brake drum, brake linkage, brake shoes, have the drums turned, then reverse the procedure. How hard can it be?

The driver's side rear wheel lug nuts came off fine. The passenger side was another story. After snapping two lug nuts off, I decided to take the car over to my girlfriend's dad's house. After all, he was a mechanical genius, surely he wouldn't snap any lug nuts. But, after some colorful language, he snapped off a lug nut. We were both extremely frustrated and called it a day.

Later that night, my girlfriend and I were watching tv, when all of a sudden we hear a loud "AH HA!!!". Her dad comes walking downstairs with his pajamas on, shaking his head. He heads straight into the garage, grabs a lug nut wrench, and proceeds to turn the lug wrench CLOCKWISE to loosen the remaining lug nuts. The passenger lug nuts were left handed! The opposite direction of the driver's side lug nuts.

He slams the lug nut down, slams the front door closed, walks right past us, slams his bedroom door closed and without a word, goes to bed. My girlfriend and I could not stop laughing. The next day we repair the lug nut damage and had another good laugh.

To this day, my now father-in-law occasionally reminds me of the incident...and grins.

Ron in Missouri

----

----