Re: 727 problems

I haven't had good luck with their products either...tried one of their kits and was less than impressed with the "improvements" the kit yielded. The instructions were well written and easy to understand; this was my first attempt at something like this and I was working with an experienced buddy to insure that we made no mistakes or oversites during the install. Every step was done methodically, deliberately, in order, and to the letter of the supplied instructions. The result was less than thrilling, I felt the difference in shifting firmness was negligible considering the amount of work and care taken during the installation. Within a week the transmission began to slip and then drop into reverse with a noticeable bang. Fluid levels were fine but the new fluid was a darker shade and exhibited a burnt smell. Few days later second gear began to slip and then dissapeared entirely with the transmission then requiring manual shifting from 1st to 3rd just to drive the vehicle. Fluid remained at the proper levels and didn't degrade any more from the reverse problem. At the time of the TransGo install the transmission had some miles on it but no apparant problems, (80K or so). Shifted fine, no leaks, fluid was always nice in color and odor, it seemed very healthy, enough so I felt a shift kit wouldn't cause a problem. So....out comes the transmission for a rebuild. I had a transmission shop go through it with a stock type rebuild without any high performance parts or upgrades other than a Turbo-Action reverse pattern full-manual valve body. Car was a ball to drive after that and as far as I know it's still going strong for the current owner now some eleven years later. Since then I've done four more 727's exactly the same way with exactly the same outstanding results. I could have just had a random bad TransGo experience but I doubt it. If you ask around in our circles though I don't think you'll find many if any problems mentioned with Turbo-Action products. I'm a happy customer of theirs and will continue to be for many years to come.
From the asking around I've done since, it's been difficult to find anyone
that has even used a TransGo offering. One other note...their Cheetah Shifters, from my experience, are simply the best thing out there. Beyond Ugly, without a doubt, but I've not found anything more rugged, reliable, or smoother in operation. My three cents and a half.

John Hammond

From: "William Harrison" <bbjt3@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:04 PM
Subject: 727 problems

Heres a good one for you.
I rebuilt my 727  and installed a Trans go shift kit.
It is one of the newer versions and is supposed to fix even more problems and improve performance.. I followed the directions to the nth degree and did not drill or alter any thing until checking and re checking the instructions....So, I know I didn't do any thing wrong..Wellllll....Long story short.. The tranny is now in the shop with a new bench build being done and a stock valve body replacing the modified one. I need a new rear drum and band. That seems to be the extent of the problem. Seems the valve body would not let the rear band release during shifts and burnt up a brand new kevlar faced shift band and scored the rear drum.
This will cost me around $400 for parts and labor.
TransGo says I did something wrong...And I did; I used one of their shift kits.
Any one else with this problem from TransGo?
I heard nothing but praise for their kits.
Later
Bill Harrison
65 Coronet 2 dr post
P.S....One good thing....I can now drop and re-install a 727 in around 6 hours with out a lift. Just block up my car hauler and run it up till the front tires are about 8" on and hook a come along to the front to keep it from moving back; jack up the rear end and set the frame on jack stands and blocks under the rear wheels for added safety. Oh what a back yard mechanic will do to fix his car.
Actually pretty comfortable working height with a creeper...

----

----